Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Another Tuesday

Whoa, a week really rolls around fast!  Saturday, the big Relief Society Mother/daughter activity that we've been working for awhile came and went.  It was pretty successful, and I wish I had some pictures of the happy, absorbed girls and women sitting and making things for "the orphans."  At least that's how I kept trying to explain it to little Sophi sitting next to me who slaved over her little beaded gecko, and kept lamenting how badly she wanted to keep it. 


My incredible Aunt Pam spends every Wednesday at a Stake Center working on these humanitarian projects, and when I went there one day (not knowing this was the same place she was at) it was so cool to see her and Uncle Lamar.  When she heard I was trying to set up some humanitarian activities for this RS activity, she IMMEDIATELY (and with all the warmth that any of you who know her know what I'm talking about!) offered to sew some of the dolls she makes for my group to stuff!!  I was blown away!  She sewed, clipped and turned over 40 doll bodies!  I'm so grateful, you can just imagine.  It was by far the most popular activity that day, and the stuffing flew!  Sadly, someone was a really good sewer-upper, and I'm having to unpick some really teeny invisible stitches to re-stuff some of the dolls for quality control purposes.


Well, no good deed goes unpunished, and Sunday our RS presidency was released.  We'd been warned earlier last week by the Bishop, so it wasn't a shock, but it is pretty bittersweet.  Our president's life had become untenable due to (a really LARGE boatload of reasons beyond her control that I won't go into)  and the first councelor just had her 2nd operation on her arm as a result of a fall at the start of the summer.  If I EVER start to feel I've got it tough, I just picture Gayla, with her shattered shoulder in a flimsy little sling, sitting in her easy chair for 5 DAYS waiting for the hospital to "fit her in".  Criminal.  oohhh, the hate mail I want to write.


ANYWAY, their husbands are, respectively, the 1st councelor and the bishop of the ward, so I'm surprised the situation carried on as long as it did, but I'm glad it did, because I really really enjoyed this calling and serving with those women.  So. 


And anyway, babysitting was going to become a real problem for me, cuz Breanne moved out!  I didn't think she actually would, but she made it happen and she really did.  Let's pause a moment to be sad for me. 
Yes, she's pretty excited.  We moved her up, and it didn't take 2 FULL car loads, more like 1 1/2!  I'm relieved at the niceness of the place we found, cuz we had looked at some scary places, I tell you.  We found the address on the institute bulletin board, and the place is mainly members, which is pretty unusual in University of Utah territory, and they rented out 1/2 a room like they do here in BYU-ville, which is pretty unusual up there again.


I may never sleep again knowing my daughter is walking home from the bus stop just 2 blocks away from trolley square at 11:00 at night. 

1 comment:

  1. I really was sad when they made the change in Relief. I so enjoyed working with all of you. It didn't take primary long to snatch you up. I'll miss not having you in Relief.

    ReplyDelete