Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Sunday post

Don't be afraid to give your best to what seemingly are small jobs.  Every time you conquer one it makes you that much stronger.  If you do the little jobs well, the big ones will tend to take care of themselves.  ~Dale Carnegie

Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before.  ~Jacob A. Riis


I've been working on staying out of the danger zone.  Posting quotes to inspire and help myself is part of that.   

For the past couple of months I've been listening to the New Testament on the way to work, and on the way home, I listen to the Sterling Ellsworth tapes my mom gave me about 15 years ago.  She asked me to pass them on to Bonnie after I finished, so Bonnie - I'm about half way through.  They ARE full of wonderful things, even though he sounds like a helium filled munchkin.  I'm sorry I've taken an eternity to get to it Mom;  this is helpful and  important stuff! 

Anyway, one morning this scripture about the sower really struck me to the heart.  The sower sowed on stony ground:

5And some fell on stony ground, where it had not much earth; and immediately it sprang up, because it had no depth of earth:
 6But when the sun was up, it was scorched; and because it had no root, it withered away.
Then the Savior explained:
6And these are they likewise which are sown on stony ground; who, when they have heard the word, immediately areceive it with gladness;
 17And have no root in themselves, and so endure but for a time: afterward, when aaffliction or bpersecution ariseth for the word’s sake, immediately they are offended.
So here I am, and I really want to stop being stony ground about so many things. I want root in myself.

On another topic, Ethan bore his testimony in primary (On fast Sundays we have them bear testimony instead of a talk).  He really stressed out about it!  Talks are no big deal to him, he'll just toss one off with confidence.  But the thought of putting his own feelings out there really bothered him.  Or maybe he didn't have confidence in his ability to speak extemporaneously, so he wrote his testimony out first, and memorized it.  Of course he did just great, and I hope that helped him out.  He seemed pretty happy afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment