Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Merry-go-round of ache and aggravation

For the past 100 years or so, I've fallen asleep on my left side.  It's so cuddly and warm, my zen spot.  The right side won't work, cuz my right nose ALWAYS plugs up and then I can't breath out of my one tiny nasal passage.   Did I say ALWAYS?  I mean it.  There has never been an exception.  I know, cuz I've had many, many insomniac hours to test this.


 (side note, why is it Roger with his gigantic airway there the chain-saw snorer?)


Anyway, for the past, I don't know, 3 years or so, my left hip starts to ache after about a minute.  The heart beat ache, you know, it kind of blossoms with every heart beat, till it's a darn gigantic fancy bouquet of pain.  So that leaves me trying to fall asleep on my back, which is chilly, and has all that, I dunno, AIR above my face, but ok.  Then after a couple of hours my lower back starts to ache, so I put the pillow under my knees.  1 hour-ish, then the varicose vein starts to throb.  See where I'm going with this?


Melatonin, gaba, 5HTP, magnesium CALM drink?     check
sound machine?               check
ginger and ibuprofen?      check
ear plugs?                       check
previous experience being addicted to ambien?     check
breath-right strips?           check - makes sores
fancy nostril holder opener?  check, doesn't address the stuffy issue, cat ate it.
self-hypnosis sleep relaxation thing?     check, it works!  4 to 5  freaking times a night!  And then it doesn't.
give up diet coke?          check
yoga and hip stretches?  check


Got any ideas?

5 comments:

  1. I always sleep on my side too--I started to have hip problems (doesn't sound quite like the pains you're having, though), and it went away when I put a pillow between my knees. that makes it so my hips are square when i sleep on my side rather than off kilter....do you know if your hips are rotated? I just found these awesome exercises/stretches to get your hips in alignment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcOPgXRo4Yg and http://www.livestrong.com/article/131550-hip-alignment-exercises/

    or, if you wanna take up sleeping on your right side, you could always get a Cpap machine. maybe that would force air into your closed up noss-trill.

    I feel for you! :( When it comes to just insomnia, though, I REALLY recommend "Bach's Sleep rescue." (http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Remedy-Sleep-Spray-Milliliters/dp/B000OY51GU) it's a homeopathic flower blend, and it works wonders, especially if you're up because of incessant thoughts that keep running round and round in your head. And it's non-addictive. some days i use it, and some days i don't and I never feel the urge or craving for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend you not using the computer or watching tv for at least 2 hours before bedtime. other than that? I get all my sleeping advice from you :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! I'm actually already doing that stretch, among others. But I've ordered the sleep rescue- gonna give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. coulda swore I commented already. I was just gonna say that if you have IHC insurance, go and get yer veins FIXED! I am LOVING life with my legs not hurting all the stinkin' time! Makes mah legs feel springy even!

    As far as all the rest goes? Sorry. Other than a few short stints with being overly amped up on hormones, I can sleep anywhere and any when and for FOREVER as a matter of fact!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thats awesome that it worked so good! The last I heard you were in the "it buuuurrrnnns" stage. My veins hardly ever bug me unless I do the whole sleeping with a pillow under my knees thing, or sit all day at work. otherwise, I never notice them.

    ReplyDelete